16.11.13

Space dust - the finish!

This quilt has been a long time in the making, you can see the previous posts here, here, here and here.  My relationship with this quilt was hot and cold all the way through, with my biggest stall being how to quilt it.  So it stayed in the cupboard for 6 months before I finally made the decision to give it to Trudi to quilt.  Best Decision ever!!!


Trudi managed to nail the quilting with very little direction from me.  I knew what I wanted, be couldn't seem to explain it very well.  It was custom quilted with #Aurifil in grey, which has made those very flat solids pop out of the quilt.



Although tempted to use the Ikea numbers (I need a 12 step program!), I actually pieced a backing from stash using  Kona Ash and a print fabric that I got from Annie and have no clue what line it is from!!


For the binding I stuck with my seemingly never ending supply of Architextures Crosshatch in grey, so that it blended with the background fabric.


So I now have my very own Space dust quilt to cuddle under this winter, it has ousted all previously made quilts from my affections ;-)

Quilt stats:
Pattern - Space dust by Tula pink (templates size was reduced to 75%)
Fabrics - Mixture of Klona and Robert Kaufman Kona solids with Wordplay 13 for the background.
Binding - Architextures crosshatch in grey
Backing - Robert Kaufman Kona in Ash and text fabric (which I cannot remember the name of!)
Quilting -Custom Quilting by Trudi Wood with #Aurifil in grey
Size - Approx 60" square

28 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! What a wonderful quilt to be snuggling under.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving that tree you use for quilt displaying. I knew there was a reason I liked Croydon ;-)
    Fab quilt btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous, and isn't that Trudi a clever mind reader!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is phenomenal. Totally you and it glows like a jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not surprised it has ousted those other quilts - it is amazingly gorgeous! Trudi did well as ever. Will other quilts be heading off to Trudi then you could give me your sewing machine! Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Kelly - that is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurray for a beautiful finish. It must feel so good ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's wonderful, prism-y and great :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a Wowser quilt. A real Wow!ser…Faaabulous :-) love Trudi's quilting too :-)
    Look forward to seeing it @ Sandown next year, yes?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trudi completely aced the quilting. It's absolutely stunning Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it.. its fun, bright, modern.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, so gorgeous! I think you're right about the quilting - it really makes the solid piecing pop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it - just bought the pattern and can't wait to give it a try - yours is my favorite version I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic finish! I love all this rainbow-y goodness :). Trudi did an awesome job on the quilting. The mix of curvy quilting and straight lines looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a unique and beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete